- PMUniversity Now Offers Emerging Tech Training As An Authorized Training Partner With Certnexus
- Diane Gray-Smith Joins STS Capital Partners
- OCLC named 'Best Place to Work in IT' by Computerworld
The digital divide is the gap between those who have access to affordable, reliable internet, devices, and digital skills and those who do not. According to the 2021 U.S. Census Bureau's American Communities Survey, in Franklin County over 80,000 households (10%), representing over 200,000 people do not have a home Internet subscription and over 66,000 households (5%) do not have a computer. Additionally, one-third of working-age Americans possess limited or no digital skills and one in six are unable to use email, web search or other basic online tools according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.
Mayor Ginther commented on the importance of this initiative: "Having reliable internet is as crucial as having access to clean water and electricity. Every resident deserves to have full access to affordable, high-speed internet as well as the digital devices that bring these services directly into the home or the palm of your hand – regardless of one's ability to pay."
More on Ohio Pen
- SSV Network selects Randamu for Distributed Key Generation (DKG) Grant Award
- Lawmato relaunches its virtual consultation app with enhanced features
- MiBOXER Is Exhibiting At Hong Kong International Autumn Lighting Fair
- Beck Properties Group, eXp Realty Expands Service in Southeast Indiana
- Stonely Unleashes Innovative Platform for Homeowners: Design and Order Kitchen Countertops Online with Ease!
Legislation before Columbus City Council will authorize $15 million of the city's American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding while Franklin County will contribute $5.2 million towards this initiative. The funds will be used for increasing access to affordable, reliable home internet among underserved households by at least 50 percent; distributing 10,000 computers, tablets, smartphones or other internet-enabled devices; deploying decentralized digital skills training programs; establishing an ecosystem of local companies and community organizations providing low-cost devices; investing $800,000 in competitive grants for partner organizations; and training 1,500 advocates across 100 partner organizations about resources available for digital inclusion programs.
Pilot programs are currently underway with full scale operations expected by 2027. Board of Commissioners President John O'Grady expressed his support for this initiative: "Empowering underserved residents with affordable digital access to health care, financial management and job opportunities represents significant steps forward to generational and impactful progress in Franklin County...My colleagues and I remain unwavering in supporting our neighbors."
Latest on Ohio Pen
- Kaiser Consulting Awarded a #1 Spot in Central Ohio's 2023 Best Places to Work
- Altercare Locations Earn U.S. News & World Report's Best Nursing Homes Award
- Chemed Corporation to Present at the BofA Securities 2023 Virtual Home Care Conference
- National Minority Health Association Launches "Equity for All."
- Green Office Partner Launches Managed Print Services Program in Canada
- Vantiva Confirms its Strong Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- The World's No.1 Superstar Rings in 48th Birthday and 25 Years as an Entertainer
- Devart Is the Winner of 2023 New World Report Software and Technology Award
- Unveiling a Secluded Paradise: Beachfront Home on Dog Island, Carrabelle, Florida, Goes to Auction
- SalonInteractive Launches in Square App Marketplace to Provide eCommerce, Marketing & More to Beauty Professionals
- RacquetX Announces Miami Open Experience as Excitement Builds for Landmark 2024 Event
- Huntington Bancshares Incorporated to Present at the Goldman Sachs US Financial Services Conference
- Dominating Business Intelligence: Informer Tops the BI & Analytics Survey for the Fourth Time
- Engine Leak Solutions Launches to Tackle Leaks with Innovative Absorbent Pads
- Champion Awards Acknowledge Yaskawa's Dedicated Support for the ARM Institute
- Zivian Health Predicts 5 Trends in Digital Healthcare Coming in 2024
- Advcash adds instant Pix payments in Brazil
- Floris United Methodist Church announces first-ever mission trip for people with disabilities
- Sip Social Co. Partners With Omnify To Streamline User Experience Across Growing Operations
- Ensuring Product Safety in Medical Fridges & Freezers